Tuesday, May 28, 2013

To Add To The Hummus Post...



My boyfriend and I went to visit his parents this Memorial Day weekend and that's where I discovered this secret little ingredient! His parents know I make my own hummus and read somewhere to add Sesame Tahini to make it taste more authentic so they got a can for me to try.  And of course I did as soon as I got home!  



It's a puree of roasted sesame seeds and basically acts like the healthy peanut butter jars.  The oil separates since it doesn't contain any emulsifiers or thickeners so you have to stir it for a while before using.  I added a spoonful to a can of chickpeas, but you'll have to play around with the amount depending how much of a creamy nutty flavor you like.  I also cheated and added some olive oil instead of water this time to make it even smoother.  I added it to my vegetable sandwich today for lunch and it definitely made it more creamy instead of a dry taste like before.  I encourage you to play around with all the ingredients until you find what you really like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment