Sunday, August 2, 2015

Keep Your Cilantro Fresh for Longer



There are two types of people in this world. Those who love cilantro and those who think it tastes like soap. Since I'm on the side that loves it, I go through it like crazy. It adds a nice and fresh flavor to almost any dish, from salads to rice to scrambled eggs for breakfast. 

Joe is Colombian so he grew up with it and therefore loves it just as much. However, sometimes I get a little too excited, end up buying too much and it goes bad before I can use it all. I wanted to buy one of those fancy herb keepers, but I couldn't justify spending $20+ on one so I made my own. 






To start, snip the rubber band or tie and rinse your cilantro or parsley (this method works on both) so that you can use throughout the week without worrying about washing every time. Trust me, it's much easier to wash all at once. However, make sure that it is completely dry before storing as this may promote rotting. Next, fill a glass with enough water so that the ends are submerged, but not the leaves. It's important to not submerge the leaves as they will also rot and get slimy and smelly. I usually place a small plastic bag on top without closing it to prevent air from damaging the herb. This method keeps my cilantro fresh for weeks, but who knows, it might be longer! I just never keep mine long enough to know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment