Wednesday, May 15, 2013

7 Poses To Help You Sleep

Some people have trouble falling asleep while others can lay their head on their pillow and be out in seconds, like me.  Either way, doing some yoga poses can help you get a better night's rest so you can wake up feeling rested and fabulous!

Below are the poses I do every night before going to bed.  They only take about a minute and a half total.  These exercises help me relax and release some stress to help me fall asleep faster and sleep deeper.  I started doing them about 2 months ago and have noticed a difference right away.  Now, I look forward to them before going to bed every night!  I even got my boyfriend to do them with me from time to time. 

1. Rag Doll
Stand with your legs slightly apart, right hand over left elbow, and bend over hips so that your head and arms hang down.  Stand for about 8 seconds while taking in slow, but deep breaths.  This pose helps ease tension in my back, neck, and shoulders.




2.  Seated Side Bend
Sit with your legs crossed, place right hand on the floor, and lean to the right with your left arm extending over your head.  Hold for about 8 seconds while breathing in deeply and switch to the other side.  This pose feels good on my neck, shoulders, and obliques.
3. Pigeon
Go down on all fours, place your left leg so that the knee is between your hands, and extend the right leg back.  Hold for about 8 seconds and switch legs.  Don't forget to breathe!  This pose stretches my hips, buttocks, and legs.


4.   Cobra
Lie down on your stomach, place your palms down on the floor by your chest, and lift yourself up while keeping your hips  on the floor.  Again, hold for about 8 seconds while taking in slow deep breaths.  This pose, more than anything, works on relaxing my ab muscles.

5. Bridge
Lie on your back with knees bent, your feet flat on the floor and your arms by your side.  Lift up your hips while keeping your shoulders on your floor so that you make a diagonal line from your shoulders to your knees.  Rest for 8 seconds while taking deep breaths.  This pose really opens up my spine, chest and shoulders. 

6. Plow
Lie on your back with your hands beside you and lift your legs up over your head while keeping your shoulders on the floor.  Hold for 8 seconds and breathe.  This pose also helps relax my spine and helps with my backaches.  It also feels good on my abs.





7. Legs-Up-The-Wall
Lie on your back against the wall so that your legs are perpendicular to your body.  Try to keep your legs as straight against the wall as you possibly can.  Hold for 8 seconds and take deep relaxing breaths.  This pose is great to do last because it's very relaxing.  It helps flow blood to the parts of the body that need it and also helps with arthritis.  Ancient Hindu scriptures also claim it helps banish wrinkles and old age!  



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment