Sunday, July 26, 2015

Save Your Ginger

I love ginger. Love it. However, just the thought of peeling it makes me grab the powdered version. Or, ..mincing it -eek! No thank you. Too much work for even me. I often cook Asian dishes and most of them call for fresh ginger so I always try to keep some on hand. Then, of course, I get a bit lazy and don't end up using it and it goes bad. I hate to waste. But as frustrating as this endless cycle seemed, I could never think of a solution. 



A few weeks ago, my sister was visiting and we decided to make a veggie teriyaki bowl so I pulled out my ginger from my fridge drawer along with the other ingredients we were planning on using. Engulfed in conversations and with a glass of wine, I didn't pay much attention as my sister grabbed my grater and proceeded to grate the piece of ginger, with skin and all! I almost chocked on my wine. Where did this idea come from and where has it been my whole life? 


Yes, grating ginger is a thing. And, wait for it, it gets better, you can freeze it too! Say good-bye to old and stale ginger. In fact, freezing it helps make grating easier. Now I always keep my piece in a freezer bag and simply grate an inch or so whenever I need it for cooking. 


Does anyone else know about this easy trick? Please comment to share your tips! :)


1 comment:

  1. This trick has been a life- (and ginger) saver lol! And the skin adds extra nutrients and fiber so an overall win as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete